Determining the most shared blog post of all time is a Herculean task due to the vast and ever-evolving landscape of viral content. However, Buzzfeed stands as a prime example of mastering the art of popular posts. Since its inception, Buzzfeed has not only churned out a consistent stream of highly shared content but also revolutionized the format of list articles, a previously well-trodden territory.
Take, for example, their posts like “27 Famous Actors Who Tricked You Into Thinking They’re American” and “26 Pictures That Perfectly Capture How Insanely Cold It Is Across The US.” These have garnered tens of millions of shares, underlining two critical elements of their success: the power of emotional triggers and the effectiveness of picture lists. Emulating Buzzfeed’s approach opens up opportunities to create irresistibly shareable content.
The Evolving Landscape of Visual Content
In the realm of digital marketing, visual content bifurcates into two main streams: visual marketing and content marketing. A deeper dive into recent statistics sheds light on why such posts, akin to Buzzfeed’s, resonate so profoundly with audiences:
- According to recent data (beyond 2017), a significant percentage of digital marketers prioritize visuals in their content, acknowledging their pivotal role in engagement.
- Research from leading marketing institutes confirms that visual marketing remains a focal point for both B2B and B2C marketers, given its impact on audience engagement.
- An analyses by content Buzzsumo revealed that posts interspersed with images every 75 to 100 words see a considerable boost in social shares, emphasizing the magnetic pull of visuals.
These insights not only reflect the continued relevance of visual content but also underscore the power of emotional engagement in marketing, as echoed in various neuromarketing studies.
Further Reading: 10 Visual Marketing Ideas to Implement This Year
Picture Lists: The What and What Not
Picture lists are more than just a collection of images. They are curated experiences that convey a theme or narrative through visuals. Buzzfeed exemplifies this through posts that weave together disparate images under a unifying theme, creating an emotional journey for the viewer.
Conversely, some web pages misuse this format by cluttering their space with uncurated, endless scrolls of images. This approach not only dilutes the impact of the content but also strays from the essence of what makes picture lists engaging and shareable.
Things That Every Picture Post Needs To Have
To craft a picture post that captivates and spreads widely, consider the following elements:
- Optimal Number of Photos: Aim for a balance – not too many, not too few. A range of 10 to 50 images is ideal, allowing for skimmability and depth.
- Diversity in Formats and Media: Incorporate various forms of visuals, including engaging visual quotes, to enhance appeal and shareability.
- Concise Captions: Keep text explanations brief and impactful. Avoid redundancy and ensure originality to maintain the uniqueness of your content.
- Strong Call to Action: Never underestimate the power of a CTA. Encourage sharing to amplify your content’s reach.
Conclusion: Crafting Share-Worthy Content
Creating content that spreads like wildfire requires a blend of strategy, creativity, and a keen understanding of what resonates with audiences. Buzzfeed’s approach, combined with the latest insights into visual and emotional marketing, provides a blueprint for success.